AAAI-22 Call for Diversity and Inclusion Activities
The Thirty-Sixth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence
Vancouver, BC, Canada
February 22 – March 1, 2022
- September 17, 2021: Electronic submissions due
- October 15, 2021: Notification of acceptance or rejection
Participation in AI by groups that are underrepresented in computer science is a fraction of what is needed to have an AI workforce that reflects the diversity in society. Diversity has many facets, including race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and cultural background.
We would like to invite submissions of proposals for activities that will help broaden participation in the AI field. Activities can range from meetings for specific groups, to panels, workshops to discuss the situation and propose changes, reports on outreach activities, and more.
Example topics and activities include new open research questions that affect diversity in AI, mentoring activities for students from underrepresented groups, activities to expose undergraduates or K12 students to AI, reports on successes at increasing diversity.”
The proposals should be short (2 pages, pdf) and should address the following:
- What activity is proposed and its specific objectives
- Who will be the chair of the activity
- What is the target audience (academics, industry, graduate students, undergraduate students, etc)
- What is expected number of participants
- Duration of the proposed activity (1/2 day, 1 day, 2 hours, etc)
- Will the activity be by invitation only or will need an open call for participation/registration/submission, and what is the expected timeline (call out, deadline, notification).
- Funding needed (if any) and potential sources of funding.
- Volunteer support needed (if any), how many, for how long, and for what (e.g. “two volunteers, for 0.5 hr, to distribute materials”, or “two volunteers, for 0.5 hr at opening and closing, to rearrange seating into discussion groups”)
For inquiries, please contact AAAI at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity and Inclusion Chairs
Maria Gini (University of Minnesota, USA)
Joydeep Biswas (University of Texas at Austin, USA)