For Immediate Release
Latest Advances in Artificial Intelligence
International Conference Brings together Researchers and Practitioners
August 8, 2003
8:00 AM Pacific Time
Menlo Park, Calif.
The Artificial Intelligence research community is gathering in Acapulco, Mexico August 9-15, 2003 for the 18th International Joint Conference on AI. Researchers and practitioners will exchange the results of their latest work, yielding a program filled with the latest advances in many different branches of the field that comprises AI.
From innovative new applications of AI, to prototype emerging applications, to cutting edge research in core technologies, this year's conference will be packed with information for those who are involved with, or follow, the field of AI.
Highlights of this year's conference include:
- Mobile Robot Competition and Exhibition — This is the twelfth year AAAI has sponsored the Mobile Robot Competition, which brings together teams from leading robotics research labs to compete and demonstrate state-of-the-art research in robotics and AI. Each year the bar is raised on the competition challenges, and each year the robots demonstrate increasing capabilities. This year, the competition includes three events: Robot Host, Robot Rescue, and Robot Challenge.
- Innovative Applications of AI — Awards and Emerging Applications — This conference, co-located with IJCAI-03 and sponsored by the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, honors deployed applications that use AI techniques in innovative ways delivering quantifiable value. In recent years, the conference has been expanded to recognize experimental emerging applications that in preliminary tests are demonstrating promising results. Together, the 20 applications presented point the way toward new trends in intelligent applications in a wide range of areas — from automated fraud detection in the NASDAQ stock market, to automated search of broadcast news for items of interest, to new teaching and commerce systems, and intelligent distributed computing.
- Trading Agents Competition — The goal of this competition is to spurn research in intelligent agents for e-commerce. This year there will be two competitions — one in which travel agents put together travel packages, and the second — a dynamic supply chain trading scenario — in which PC manufacturers compete against one another for customer orders and supplies over 250 simulated days.
- AI and the Web — special track — Four invited speakers will discuss emerging trends in using AI to improve the intelligence of the Web infrastructure. Senior researchers from Google, University of Southern California, Hong Kong Baptist University and University of Trento, Italy, will discuss topics such as Web search engines, technologies to build and deploy intelligent agents on the Web, the research agenda to build true Web intelligence, and eCommerce travel systems.
- Invited Speakers — Eleven speakers from leading research centers and business ventures in the U.S. and Europe have been invited to the technical conference to discuss emerging AI research and experimental systems on topics, such as selfreconfiguring robots, Paul Allen's Vulcan, Inc. Project Halo, aimed toward the creation of a digital Aristotle, capable of answering and providing cogent explanations to arbitrary questions in a variety of domains.
- Technical Program — At the heart of the conference is the technical program, which this year includes 189 technical paper presentations by leading researchers on a broad array of AI topics, for example: computer vision, robotics, intelligent agents, intelligent Internet, logic, learning, reasoning, representation and much more.
- Workshops and Tutorials — There will be 30 workshops on research and applications (by invitation only) on such topics as Agent-Oriented Systems, AI Applications, Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, Machine Learning and Data Mining, and AI and the Web. In addition, 19 tutorials will cover concentrated technical topics of current or emerging interest, for instance: state of the art in ant robotics, intelligent Web service, and automated security protocol verification.
- Intelligent Systems Demonstrations — This track highlights innovative contributions to the science of AI with an emphasis on the benefits of developing and using implemented systems in AI research. This year's demonstrations include web technologies, intelligent agents, reasoning engines, and collaborative and conversational system, in domains ranging from space exploration to travel agencies to writing technical papers.
- Poster Session — This new program is designed to promote new research ideas and widen participation at the conference. The 87 poster presentations represent a broad cross-section of AI research areas including: automated reasoning, case-based reasoning, constraints, knowledge representation, data mining and information retrieval, machine learning, multiagents, natural language, neural networks, planning, search, vision and robotics.
- Exhibit Program — Some of the leading robotics vendors, publishers, research labs, and others will exhibit their offerings.
IJCAI-03 is sponsored by the International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence, the Mexican Society for Artificial Intelligence, and the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI).
Founded in 1979, the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (www.aaai.org) is a nonprofit scientific membership society devoted to advancing the science and practice of AI. Its mission is to: (1) advance the scientific understanding of the mechanisms underlying intelligent thought and behavior, (2) facilitate their embodiment in machines, (3) serve as an information resource for research planners and the general public concerning trends in AI, and (4) offer training for the current and coming generations of AI researchers and practitioners. The organization sponsors a bi-annual National AI conference, the Innovative Applications of AI conference, the Mobile Robot Competition and Exhibition, and numerous symposia and workshops.
# # #
- AAAI Media Contact
(for press inquiries only)